Tomb Kings

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable Warhammer army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

Tomb Kings

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Thu May 12, 2011 9:25 am

My 40k drug dealer of a friend might have gotten me hooked on the new Tomb Kings. The wife loves Egypt and saw the new Warsphinx, that was it.

I'm familiar with some of the warhammer rules, but not in detail. I glanced at the new codex, but might end up taking units for looks rather than power. That being said I want a little synergy.

My first thought was to take two 20 man units of skeleton archers and the Mummy chic (Khaldra sp?) who does something to help archers. I wanted a mummy in the list and she's it. Does anyone know if that's worthwhile to start with? I would go to Tomb Guard after that as a foot block. To many points? Are 2 core units good enough? I would take a 3rd core unit as horseman or chariots. Can you get away with minimum core?
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby RichN » Thu May 12, 2011 9:44 am

For 8th ed in general, the goal of the game is to completely destroy a unit or to break and chase it off the table. There are no VP scored for taking a unit to half size & if a unit is not run down in combat - its all to easy to rally.

Psychology has little effect in 8th. Flanking has little effect in 8th. I would even say clever play has little effect in 8th. What you need to find in the army list is a hammer - either a unit that can grind away in combat or a spell caster which can remove units via spells.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Thu May 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks Rich. That is helpful, especially how flanking is weaker. I don't think I would want to many cheap chariots then because they can't win a grinding game. I need monsters. I like the look of the Ushtabi, but I don't think their str 4 t 4 stat line is good enough. There are some statue monsters in the rare section that could combine with the Warsphinx monster in the special section.

Does an anvil unit have a place? 40+ skeleton warriors with spear and shield. Maybe a Tomb King in the front row to deal some damage and a Liche nearby to replenish the ranks with skeletons? Is there a place for something to tarpit enemy hammer units?
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby RichN » Thu May 12, 2011 1:26 pm

Anvil units can be useful. Units are Steadfast* when they have more ranks than an opposing unit. Being able to field an unit with 6 or 7 ranks will insure that your the one to be Steadfast.

The thing to remember is that combat resolution in 8th frequently gets up to between 15 and 20 points. Talking away Steadfast is usually the only way to get an enemy to run.

Monsters can do a lot for you & are a good combo to go with the Anvil. Thunderstomp is a great way to wear a unit down.

*Steadfast = taking break checks on your unmodified leadership
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Kuma » Thu May 12, 2011 3:57 pm

For more ideas on TK, head over to IWFB forums.
Kuma

Re: Tomb Kings

Postby TwoCowz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:21 pm

hey mate ! if you are looking to acquire a small force of TK, I might be able to get you a leg up! I think I want to switch over to Orcs and Goblins and have a good amount of pts in TK's!
TwoCowz

Re: Tomb Kings

Postby Kuma » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:00 pm

This thread was from 2 years ago....... RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE...
Kuma

Return to Tactics (WFB)