Assaulting 1st turn

Do you know the best way to beat that unbeatable 40k army? Well post it here and share the knowledge.

Assaulting 1st turn

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Infiltrate says a "unit that deploys using these rules cannot charge in the first turn."

Page 9 defines turn and says "whenever a rule refers to 'a turn' it always means 'player turn' unless it specifically refers to a 'game turn'.

We then read the infiltrate rules to say - a unit that deploys using these rules cannot charge in the first 'player turn.'

Infiltrators cannot charge in the top of turn 1 , but they can charge in the bottom of turn 1. An advantage for going second to help mitigate the first blood objective possibly.
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: Assaulting 1st turn

Postby RAMSEY » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:26 am

First loophole found.

I can believe that they meant first game turn but will need a ruiling from judges at tournaments.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby CmdrVimes » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:32 am

I thought reserves can't come in first turn? Did I miss a change?
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:46 am

CmdrVimes wrote:I thought reserves can't come in first turn? Did I miss a change?

Drop pod and daemon reserves come in first turn, but I was talking about infiltrating units and not reserves. You still can't assault coming out of reserves unless you are a Ymgarl Genestealers or a Vanguard Veteran as their codex rules supersede the main rule book.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:49 am

RAMSEY wrote:First loophole found.

I can believe that they meant first game turn but will need a ruiling from judges at tournaments.

Is it a loophole or the correct reading of the rule. Consider this scenario:

I'm going 2nd and I infiltrate my Genestealers 18" away from your units. On the top of turn 1, your first turn, you move a tactical squad up 6" and run a further 6" right at my Infiltrating Genestealers. If the rule said no infiltrates can assault on their first turn, then on the bottom of turn 1 I couldn't assault your tactical squad which just moved up to me.

I think the rule is in place to prevent a unit from assaulting before the enemy gets a chance to react. As long as the Infiltrating Genestealers are going 2nd, the enemy has a turn to react to them before they try to assault, hence why infiltrating units can assault on turn 1 if they go second in the game.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby n00bzilla99 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:32 pm

Right, because you could get that first turn charge off possibly with the ability to charge 12" now, especially if you have a unit that moves more than 6" during regular movement. Now, the first turn charge only comes in the bottom of Turn 1 because both players have had a chance to move and react to that possible first turn charge, so if you get charged in the bottom of 1, consider it your fault for letting it happen! :P
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Turtle » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:20 pm

agreed, if you go second you get to charge. It works just like that in fantasy too with scouts and vanguard. They use pretty much the same wording too.
"Here have a beer, Marines play better with beer: Rhysk
Turtle

Return to Tactics (40K)